I’ve heard this recipe called lots of different things, but around here, we call it Instant Pot Chicken. Creamy Instant Pot Chicken with Bacon and Cheese to be exact!
In this house, we are big fans of bacon and cheese! Thanks to these two yummy favorites (and the onion), this quick and easy chicken recipe is jam-packed with the best flavor!
Get our THIS LITTLE HOME OF MINE nEWSLETTER
Delivered directly to your inbox!
Is anyone else facing a schedule that’s filling up again? When things get busy, nothing beats a one-pot meal that the whole family can enjoy.
A slow cooker is great for when I have time in the morning to get the recipe cooking, but sometimes that time isn’t there. In that case, a good Instant Pot recipe comes in handy.
This delicious recipe is a hit with picky eaters. It’s perfect for making up in batches and storing in a freezer bag for a last minute meal. And it’s a great way to use up leftover chicken. Wins all around!
Ingredients For My Instant Pot Crack Chicken Recipe
One of the best things about this recipe is that there are so many shortcuts that you can take!
Here are the ingredients you’ll need, and some ideas for time saving options. One thing you might notice as you read through this list – this is a very low carb recipe!
- Chicken Breast – I use boneless skinless chicken breasts or chicken tenderloins. But if you have chicken thighs on hand, use that! Do you have the better part of a rotisserie chicken left over? Use that! Waste not, want not! If you use your chicken breasts frozen, they will release enough water while cooking that you won’t need to add chicken stock to the Instant Pot before cooking.
- Ranch Seasoning – You can make your own seasoning mix using parsley, dill, chives, onion powder, garlic powder, and other ingredients, but you can also just purchase a ranch dressing packet that has all of those ingredients already! If you don’t have a seasoning package but do have a well-stocked spice cabinet, then perhaps making your own will be the time saving option.
- Cream Cheese – Who doesn’t love a recipe with cream cheese? You’ll lay a block of cream cheese on the chicken and let it slowly melt over the top and meld with the seasonings. My mouth is watering just thinking about it right now.
- Chicken Stock – This provides the necessary moisture so that the Instant Pot comes up to pressure. Chicken broth or water are also fine to use. Again, if you use frozen meat, it will release enough liquid as it thaws that you won’t need to worry about this step. The liquid in this recipe can be adjusted to your family’s personal preference.
- Bacon – I like to use a package of precooked bacon pieces. Pieces, not bits! You should be able to really bite into the piece of bacon. If you want to make your own crispy bacon, go for it! Just be sure to dab away as much excess bacon grease as possible.
- Cheddar Cheese – Shredded cheddar cheese melts quickest! The cheese needs to melt solely from the heat of the chicken and the pot, so shredded is the way to go. Monterey jack is another great cheese option.
- White Onions – Diced white onions add a nice toothsome bite into an otherwise very creamy meal!
- Green Onions – This is the garnish on top.
How To Make This Creamy Ranch Chicken
I love recipes where the Instant Pot does all of the work for me while I attend to other tasks around the home.
- Put a splash of water or chicken stock in the bottom of your Instant Pot, then place the chicken inside on the trivet. Sprinkle the seasoning on top of the chicken, then lay the block of cream cheese on top. Set the Instant Pot to cook on high pressure for 25 to 30 minutes.
- When the cook time is finished, do a quick release, shred the chicken, and add the bacon and white onions. Stir everything together so the cream cheese, bacon bits, and onions are nice and creamy.
- Quickly smooth the chicken out into an even layer inside the pot, then sprinkle cheese on top. Replace the lid and let the residual heat melt the cheese, for about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with green onions and enjoy!
Tips For Shredding Chicken
This recipe will make a fork-tender chicken with a delicious ranch flavor, but how do you go about shredding it?
- Forks – Nothing beats just taking two forks to the chicken, right in the pot.
- Cutting Board – If you don’t want to potentially scratch the bottom of your Instant Pot, you can always take the chicken out and use forks or a knife to shred it on a cutting board.
- Food Processor – For chicken that’s shredded particularly finely, blitz it in a food processor for a few seconds. Only a few seconds is all!
- Stand Mixer – Did you know you can use your KitchenAid or other stand mixer to shred chicken? If you cook it tender enough, you can! Just put it in the bowl and use the paddle attachment.
Tasty Side Dishes For My Creamy Instant Pot Chicken With Bacon
- Hawaiian Rolls – My family enjoys this delicious dish on it’s own, with a Hawaiian roll alongside it.
- Rice – Make up a pot of sticky rice or brown rice to serve under this juicy chicken.
- Pasta – The creamy sauce this recipe creates also coats pasta and egg noodles perfectly well, making an amazing chicken pasta. If you need to make the sauce a little thinner, mix in a splash of heavy cream.
- Lettuce – This is less of a “side dish”, and more of a different way of eating the tender chicken! Turn them into lettuce wraps!
Flavorful Add-Ins To Try
- Red Pepper Flakes – Because some families really like heat!
- Chili Powder – Another option for someone who likes spice.
- Parmesan Cheese – If you know you’re going to turn this chicken into a pasta, maybe Parmesan cheese would match the flavor profile better than cheddar.
Storing Leftover Creamy Ranch Chicken
This is one of those meals that almost tastes even better the next day!
To store your leftover chicken and bacon until next time, place the leftovers in an airtight container.
Use a wooden spoon, so that you don’t scratch the bottom of the pot! This recipe will last in the refrigerator for three days, but I’d be surprised if you had any leftover for that long.
Creamy Instant Pot Chicken with Cheese and Bacon
- 1 Instant Pot
- 2 lbs chicken breast (or tenderloin)
- 1 oz. package of ranch seasoning mix
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 16 oz. package of cream cheese
- 1 package precooked bacon pieces (pieces preferred over bits)
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup white onions diced
- 1/2 cup green onions sliced
- Pour chicken stock into Instant Pot, then set chicken inside on a trivet.
- Pour ranch seasoning over the chicken, and set cream cheese on top.
- Close Instant Pot and set to cook on high for 25-30 minutes.
- Manually release pressure, then shred chicken.
- Stir in bacon and white onions.
- Spread out evenly in pot, then sprinkle cheddar cheese on top.
- Replace the lid to trap remaining heat and melt the cheese.
- Serve with sliced green onions on top.