A couple of years ago, one of my dearest friends got engaged, and when it came time for her bridal shower, I knew I wanted to do something really special for her.
As I was brainstorming some ideas, I started considering her favorite things, and I couldn’t stop thinking about how she and I have always shared a love for all-things Christmas!
Get our THIS LITTLE HOME OF MINE nEWSLETTER
Delivered directly to your inbox!
My idea? To gift her with a basket of things she and her new hubby could enjoy as they celebrated their first Christmas together as a couple.
Never mind that the wedding was planned for May – and the shower was a handful of weeks before that! I got busy putting together an “Our First Christmas” Gift Basket!
I grabbed a large basket that she had registered for at Target…
and then came the fun part – filling it up with her favorite things:
- a small rustic table-top Christmas tree
- ornaments to match her holiday decor
- gift wrapping supplies (She has a gift for creating the most thoughtful presents!)
- holiday baking supplies (The holidays are a time when she likes to bake yummy treats!)
- her favorite: peppermint tea
- a holiday-blend of coffee we have sipped together on fun girls-only getaways
- a Christmas read from one of our favorite authors
- a few souvenirs from a Christmas-themed hotel where we’ve vacationed together
- and more!
It was such a fun basket of goodies to put together! Some of her shower guests probably thought it was crazy. I feared they thought I had done nothing but shop after-Christmas sales for her spring bridal shower. ha! But she loved it, and that’s what I was hoping for most.
Which is why – this spring – when it came time to celebrate with her at her baby shower, I knew right away which direction I wanted to go with the gift.
You guessed it: Baby’s First Christmas!
I grabbed a basket from Tuesday Morning….
(I love their selection of baskets, and I found a sweet one that I knew would match the baby’s nursery decor.)
…and I begin filling it with all kinds of holiday-themed goodies for the baby!
- an initial ornament, a My First Christmas hanging photo frame, reindeer socks, and a bowtie – all from Mud Pie
- Little Blue Truck’s Christmas – This can be perfectly paired with Green Toys’ Little Blue Truck.
- Carter’ Christmas pjs
- a gingerbread man teether
- a reindeer Wubbanub
- a Snowman Stacking Toy by Melissa & Doug
- a Shutterfly Gift Card – We both love digital scrapbooking with Shutterfly, and I KNOW she’s going to be excited to make photo albums filled with sweet pictures of her new addition.
Is anything more special than celebrating with people you love? No matter if…once again…the other people at the shower were wondering, “So what’s up with her crazy Christmas friend? She must have hit another sale after the holidays!” haha!
POST UPDATE: Since this post was published, this same friend of mine has now had a baby girl, and I bet you can guess the theme of baby girl’s gift!
I started with a basket from Target, a few sweet items from mud pie, and then included a handful for beautiful books:
- The Nutcracker
- Peek Inside Fairy Tale: The Nutcracker
- First Stories: Nutcracker
- Musical Sound Book: The Nutcracker
Welcome to this world, little – Merry Christmas!