If you browse around This Little Home of Mine, these Strawberry Crunch Cake Cookies aren’t the other strawberry dessert recipe you’ll find. For some reason, I have always been drawn to strawberry treats.
- Easy Biscuit Strawberry Shortcake
- Strawberry Hand Pies
- Summer Strawberry Dessert
- World’s Easiest Blueberry Cobbler – Made with Strawberries!
In this post, I’m sharing a recipe for Strawberry Crunch Cake Cookies! We are wild about the flavors involved in this sweet treat, and we think you’re going to fall in love with this simple cookie recipe.
Get our THIS LITTLE HOME OF MINE nEWSLETTER
Delivered directly to your inbox!
Why You’ll Love Strawberry Crunch Cake Cookies
- They’re nostalgic! These strawberry cookies are based on the classic Strawberry Crunch ice cream bars. These summertime favorites had a center of strawberry ice cream, surrounded by vanilla ice cream, covered with a strawberry shortcake crumble. These cookies are so popular that many cake recipes have been concocted in their honor, and these cookies? They hit every flavor note.
- They’re fancy! While not difficult to make, they do have an impressive appearance. This makes them perfect for special occasions, like a baby shower or Valentine’s Day.
- They’re fun to make with kids! I’m sure kids are always up to help you make cookies, but sometimes it’s fun to change up the typical chocolate chip or peanut butter cookie routine with these strawberry crunch cake cookies.
Ingredients You’ll Need To Make Strawberry Crunch Cookies
It’s amazing what you can make using simple ingredients!
- 1/2 Cup of Butter – You’ll need unsalted butter for both the cookie dough and the strawberry crumble topping. Be sure to set the butter out on the counter ahead of time to soften!
- 1/2 tsp of Salt
- 1/2 Cup of White Sugar
- 1/3 Cup of Brown Sugar – The favorite ice cream bar had a shortcake center, and the brown sugar in this recipe helps give these cookies that flavor.
- Eggs – You’ll need one full egg plus an additional egg yolk. You can use the leftover egg white for an egg white omelette later, or whip up some meringue cookies!
- 1/2 tsp of Vanilla Extract –
- 1/2 tsp of Strawberry Extract – Strawberry extract gives an amazingly accurate strawberry flavor!
- 1 Tablespoon of Strawberry Jello Powder – No need for additional food coloring later! This Jello powder will help you get the consistency and the color you need. You’ll also need some for the topping.
- 1 Tablespoon of Vanilla Pudding Powder – It’s amazing how much moisture this pudding powder will add to the cookies!
- 1 2/3 Cup of Flour – For these cookies, use all purpose flour.
- 1 tsp of Baking Powder
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- Golden Oreo Cookies – You’ll need 15 of these cookies, finely crushed. Use a food processor to blitz them quickly, or put the Oreos in a Ziploc bag and use a rolling pin to break them up.
- ¼ cup and 2 tablespoons Strawberry Jello Powder
- ¼ cup Unsalted Butter, Melted
How To Make My Strawberry Crunch Cake Recipe
There are three parts to this cookie – the cookie itself, the frosting, and the topping.
However, the cookies come together quickly because you can move on to the next step while the cookies are baking or cooling!
- Use a large bowl and a stand mixer to blend the salt and softened butter together, then cream in both the white and brown sugars. After the sugars are incorporated, add eggs and both flavoring extracts.
- Time to mix up your dry ingredients! In a separate medium bowl combine together the strawberry Jello powder, vanilla pudding powder, flour, and baking powder. Then mix these dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Use a cookie scoop to create large balls of dough. Set them on a prepared baking sheet, lined with parchment paper. Use the back of the cookie scoop to flatten the balls of dough slightly.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes – and while the cookies are baking, start making your strawberry crunch topping.
Now it’s time to prepare our topping!
Mix melted butter and more strawberry Jello powder together. Add the crushed Golden Oreos to this.
Once the cookies are out of the oven, let them cool for about 15 minutes.
While they’re cooling, get your piping bag ready!
Fill a piping bag with cream cheese frosting. Or, if you’d rather, you can use an offset spatula to frost the cookies manually.
Coat the cookies with a layer of frosting, them sprinkle the strawberry shortcake crumbles over the top.
Top Tips For Perfect Cookies
- Don’t let your cookies stay in the oven too long. It can be tricky to tell when colored cookies are done, because “golden brown” looks different on pink cookies. Remember that the cookies will continue to bake after you remove them from the oven, if you leave them on the lined baking sheet.
- Don’t overmix your batter. You can mix your wet ingredients together thoroughly, and your dry ingredients together thoroughly, but when you go to add the two together, only mix them until the dry ingredients are just incorporated. Why? Because mixing the entire batter too long will cause the gluten in the flour to link up into strands and strengthen. We want this for bread, but not for light and fluffy cookies.
How To Store Leftover Strawberry Crunch Cake Cookies
These strawberry shortcake cookies are so delicious, you might not have many left over! But if you do, simply place them in an airtight container at room temperature. They’ll stay fresh and soft for up to five days.
Other Ways To Top Your Crumble Strawberry Shortcake Cookies
The crushed Golden Oreos mixed with strawberry Jello powder tastes just like the classic ice cream bar.
However, there are many ways you can top these strawberry crunch cake cookies!
Here are a few:
- Powdered Sugar – For a sophisticated look, swap the frosting and crumble topping for a simple dusting of powdered sugar.
- White Chocolate Chips – White chocolate chips taste amazing in this recipe! Not only could you top the cookies with mini white chocolate chips, but you could even add them to the batter itself.
- Buttercream Frosting – Switching the cream cheese frosting for buttercream frosting doesn’t change much about the recipe itself, but it brings a whole new flavor.
- Freeze-Dried Strawberries – If you’d like to avoid topping the cookies with sugary things and create a lighter dessert, try freeze-dried strawberries. You’ll need to crush them up into smaller pieces. Dip the cookies in a quick glaze frosting, then sprinkle these strawberry pieces on top.
How To Make Your Own Cream Cheese Frosting
You can buy cream cheese frosting at the store already made, which is a fantastic convenience!
However, if you’d like and have the time, it doesn’t take much to whip up your own cream cheese frosting. Here’s how:
- Using a stand mixer or an electric mixer, beat together 8 ounces of softened cream cheese, 1/2 cup of softened butter, and 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract.
- Gradually work in 4 cups of powdered sugar until the frosting is smooth!
Strawberry Crunch Cake Cookies
- 1 Blender
- 1 Parchment Paper
- 1 Baking Sheet
- 1/2 Cup Butter
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Egg + Egg Yolk
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 tsp Strawberry Extract
- 1 Tablespoon Strawberry Jello Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla Pudding Powder
- 1 2/3 Cup Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
Strawberry Crunch Topping
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- 15 Golden Oreos Crushed
- 1/4 Cup+ Strawberry Jello Powder Add a couple of extra tablespoons.
- 1/4 Cup Unsalted Butter Melted
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and prep a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl blend the salt and butter together.
- Next, add the sugars and mix thoroughly.
- Add the eggs, and extracts and mix together until combined.
- Take all the dry ingredients; strawberry and vanilla powder, flour and baking powder, and mix into the wet ingredients to create a cookie dough.
- Use a spoon or 3×3 inch scooper to create large balls of dough.
- Flatten slightly with your hands before putting in the oven to bake for 12 minutes.
Strawberry Crunch Topping
- While the cookies are in the oven, blend the Golden Oreos in a mixer or cut with a knife to get a crumbly consistency.
- Add the melted butter to the strawberry Jello powder and mix together.
- Combine the crushed Golden Oreos and strawberry Jello mixture until thoroughly combined for the strawberry crunch cookie topping.
- Let the cookie cool for about 15 minutes once out of the oven.
- While those cool, fill a piping bag with cream cheese frosting and cut a hole, or frost manually.
- Coat the top of the cookies with the famous strawberry crunch cake topping mix and your cookies are ready to enjoy!