I have such sweet memories of making Rice Krispies Treats with my mom. Remember the original kind? YUM! These Reese’s Rice Krispies Treats are a fun twist on those childhood favorites.
All About these Reese’s Rice Krispies Treats
- They’re a twist on a classic favorite! Classic Rice Krispies treats are on the list of everyone’s favorite treats, so adding peanut butter and chocolate will make them a guaranteed crowd favorite. I’m all for easy desserts that the whole family will enjoy.
- They highlight a favorite flavor pairing. Chocolate and peanut butter is always the perfect combo!
- They come together quickly! These delicious treats don’t take long to mix up. It’s a perfect last-minute dessert to make for a birthday party or summer barbeque.
- They don’t require baking or cooking! Nobody wants to spend much time in a hot kitchen come summertime. These peanut butter Rice Krispies treats are the perfect no-bake dessert.
Ingredients Needed To Make These Reese’s Cup Rice Krispies Treats
This twist on the traditional Rice Krispies treat uses simple ingredients to make something truly delicious.
Get our THIS LITTLE HOME OF MINE nEWSLETTER
Delivered directly to your inbox!
- 1 Stick of Butter – Using a full stick of unsalted butter will help these Rice Krispies treats stay gooey, even the day after cooking them! Only have salted butter in your fridge? No need to run to the store – just omit the salt as a separate ingredient.
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Salt – A pinch of salt helps balance the sweetness of this sweet treat.
- 12 Ounces of Mini Marshmallows – You’ll need a 12 ounce bag of mini marshmallows, but note this – you’re not going to be melting them all at once. This is another trick to soft Rice Krispies treats. Most of them will be melted to be the “glue” of the treat, but the rest get stirred in separately to keep the mixture soft.
- 7 Ounces of Rice Krispies Cereal – You can’t make Rice Krispies treats without, well, Rice Krispies. Yes, this recipe can be made with Cocoa Krispies or Cocoa Pebbles!
Now for my favorite ingredients!
- 1 1/2 Cups of Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup Minis – I usually find these in the “candy” section of my grocery store. Make sure you buy the ones that say “minis” right on the bag, not “miniature cups”. The “miniature cups” ones are delicious, but you’d have to unwrap each and every one – and they’re too big for this recipe. Get the “minis” for the perfect ratio of peanut butter to chocolate.
- 3/4 Cup of Reese’s Peanut Butter Chips – I’m all for getting store-brand to save a few dollars, but trust me and try to get a bag of Reese’s brand peanut butter chips, if you can. They have the same peanut butter flavor as the peanut butter cups, and have a creamier texture. Store brand peanut butter chips often taste a bit waxy.
- 3/4 Cup of Semisweet Chocolate Chips – These pair with the peanut butter chips to spread that Reese’s flavor all throughout these crispy rice treats.
How To Make these Reese’s Rice Krispies Treats
My favorite part about these Reese’s Rice Krispies treats is how easily they come together, every single time.
- First up, take the time to prep your pan. You don’t want it to be tricky when it comes time to get your sticky treats out of the pan to eat. Lightly grease the bottom of a baking sheet with a cooking spray – or line it with parchment paper or wax paper.
- In a large pot over medium-low heat, melt butter, add salt, and then add all of the marshmallows except for 1 1/2 cups that you’ll set aside for later. Be sure to stir this mixture constantly, or it will burn. Pull the pot off the heat as soon as the marshmallows have melted.
- Add the Rice Krispies cereal, the remaining marshmallows, 1 cup of the chopped Reese’s minis, 1/2 cup of peanut butter chips and 1/2 cup of chocolate chips. Stir everything together gently, until the sweet add-ins are evenly combined.
- Pour the mixture into the baking pan, and use a buttered spatula (or buttered hands!) to spread it out evenly.
- Top with the remaining Reese’s minis, peanut butter chips, and chocolate chips. Press them in lightly, so that they stick.
- Allow the dessert to cool on the counter for 30 to 45 minutes, and then cut and enjoy.
Recipe Twists You Can Try
- Know any peanut butter lovers? You can amp up the peanut butter flavor by trading out half of the butter with a half cup of creamy peanut butter.
- Switch out the cereal to Cocoa Krispies or Cocoa Pebbles.
- Swap out the candy bars. Chopped Snickers are delicious, and Oreos work well too! Can’t find Reese’s minis? Try Reese’s Pieces instead!
- Add a drizzle of melted chocolate across the top. Simply melt chocolate chips in a large microwave-safe bowl in 15 second intervals, stirring in between. You can do a similar drizzle with peanut butter or butterscotch chips.
My Top Tips For Perfect Rice Krispies Treats
- It can be hard to get all of the Reese’s cups, chocolate chips, and peanut butter chips to distribute evenly throughout the Rice Krispies mixture. It gets to be really thick! What seems to work best is to add half of the rice cereal to the melted marshmallow, stir all of the add-ins in until they are evenly combined, and then add the rest of the cereal.
- Resist the temptation to press the mixture into the pan too tightly. You need to have a really gentle touch at that stage in the recipe, or your dessert will come out compact and hard.
Storing Leftover Rice Krispies Treats
This twist on the classic treat is best enjoyed the day you make it.
They’re so yummy, it’s unlikely you’ll have leftovers, but if you do, all you need to do is place the leftovers in an airtight container and leave them on the countertop.
They’ll stay soft and delicious at room temperature for up to 2 days.
We often pop leftovers in the fridge without a second thought, but not so fast!
Putting leftover Rice Krispies treats in the fridge will cause the marshmallow and butter mixture to harden, and nobody likes eating hard Rice Krispies treats.
If your peanut butter treats do get hard, you can easily soften them up again.
Reheat them in the microwave for 5 to 10 seconds.
They’ll be gooey and perfect all over again.
Reese’s Rice Krispies Treats
- 1 Large Pot
- 1 Large Baking Pan
- 1 Stick Butter Unsalted
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 12 Ounces Mini Marshmallows Divided
- 7 Cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- 1 1/2 Cups Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Minis Halved
- 3/4 Cup Reese's Peanut Butter Chips
- 3/4 Cup Semisweet Chocolate Chips
- Lightly grease the bottom of an 11×14 baking pan with cooking spray and line with parchment paper.
- In a large pot over low heat, melt the butter and stir in the salt.
- Set aside 1 ½ cups of mini marshmallows to mix in later. Then pour the remaining marshmallows into the pot with the butter and melt over low heat. (Stir constantly. Remove from heat as soon as melted.)
- Once the marshmallows have melted, remove the pot from the heat and add the Rice Krispies cereal, the 1 ½ cups of mini marshmallows set aside earlier, 1 cup of Reese’s peanut butter cup minis cut in half, ½ cup peanut butter chips, and ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips. Gently fold together until evenly combined.
- Pour the mixture into the baking pan and spread it out evenly.
- Top with the remaining Reese’s peanut butter cups, peanut butter chips, and semisweet chocolate chips and gently press it into the bars to help them stick.
- Allow your treats to cool in the pan for 30-45 minutes. Cut, serve, and enjoy!