Is anything more challenging for families than getting out the door for church on Sunday mornings? Sunday Morning can feel daunting – especially if there are little ones in your house.
Get our THIS LITTLE HOME OF MINE nEWSLETTER
Delivered directly to your inbox!
Sometimes, by the time I arrive at the House of the Lord, I feel like I have run a marathon, and I am NOT a runner! ha!
Let’s prep for Sunday Mornings!
In this post, I want to share some ideas for things we do on both Saturday Night and Sunday Morning to make the transition to church go as smoothly as possible.
Sure, these things won’t guarantee there are never any frustrations or fights or unexpected delays, but over the years, we have found these to-dos to at least help!
Saturday Night Prep:
- Lay out everyone’s clothes. I still prep outfits for my little ones but ask my older ones to do this themselves on Saturday night.
- Don’t forget the socks…and shoes…and jackets…and hairbows – whatever your family might need. Consider those little items that seem to add extra stress to your Sunday mornings, and make sure those are ready to go. You might even want to do like we’ve done and create a By-the-Door-Basket specifically for those pesky problem items. This basket can be helpful for any and all days of the week!
- Fill milk cups for your little ones. I do this every night before bed, and I’m not sure why it makes such a different the next day, but it always has.
- Prep Mommy’s sippy cup – I’m referring to the coffee pot! ha! I do this every night before bed, and it is especially helpful for prepping for Sunday mornings.
- Prep or thaw your Sunday morning breakfast idea.
- Put the diaper bag by the door or in the car. When we are in that baby/toddler nursery stage, we actually have a separate Sunday morning diaper bag (complete with a name tag for those times when we choose to use the nursery) that stays prepped and in the car all the time. This way, we just have to grab it on the way in to church each Sunday. You may also appreciate this Family Basket idea for your vehicle:
- Do you teach at church on Sunday morning? Place any items you might need for that and place those by the door or in the car as well.
- Also, have your kiddos place their Bibles and notebooks by the door. A Bible case for each of them where they can keep a small notebook, a pencil or pen, etc. truly can help Sunday mornings flow smoothly.
Sunday Morning Prep:
- Wake up a few minutes earlier than you think you should. It is going to be better to have a little extra time built in there than to find yourself running behind from the start.
- Pop a make-ahead breakfast in the warmer. Sunday mornings are a great time for those make-ahead breakfast ideas. My friend, Liz, shares some great ones here.
A Reminder for Sunday Mornings:
Remember, Satan doesn’t want your family joining your neighbors for community worship. He despises even the thought of even two or three gathering together in the Lord’s name, but with a little bit of prep and planning each week, we can put him in his place!
Hebrews 10:25 – “…not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.”
Moms of newborns, you are in a tricky stage! Give yourself a special grace during this season. God knows your heart and will honor your desire to be with His people. This stage you’re in – I’ve been there. Things will eventually begin to feel lighter and more manageable. You’ll get there…I promise. I love you, and I understand where you are right now!