Years ago, my Granny gave me a Cake Mix Recipe Book that included all kinds of different ideas for using a box of cake mix to create a variety of different cookies and various other sweet treats. I had never heard of using cake mixes to make anything other than cakes, so I was intrigued. The first recipe I tried from the book was for Cake Mix Cookies. It was a simple cookie recipe that calls for a box of yellow cake mix. Ever since then, it has been my go-to way of making chocolate chip cookies. Well, until one day when I decided to use the same mixture to bake a batch of chocolate chip bars!
One afternoon, as I went to make cookies for my kids, I found myself wondering what would happen if I whipped up the same simple cookie batter but used it to make Cake Mix Cookie Bars instead of individual cookies. Guess what? It worked like a charm!
Get our THIS LITTLE HOME OF MINE nEWSLETTER
Delivered directly to your inbox!
Ingredients to Make Cake Mix Cookie Bars
This recipe only calls for a handful of ingredients!
- 1 Box of Yellow Cake Mix
- 1/2 Cup of Softened Butter – I usually use salted butter, and as long as it’s reached room temperature, you should be good to go.
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Bag of Chocolate Chips – For this recipe, I typically use regular size chocolate chips, but you could always use mini chocolate chips.
How to Make Cake Mix Cookie Bars
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix together the above list of simple ingredients. A hand mixer or a stand mixer works just fine. There have even been times when I’ve used a fork to do the job!
- Spread an even layer of the mixture into a greased or non-stick pan. I typically use a 9″ x 13″ glass pan.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes. Depending on your oven and your baking dish, the cook time may vary a bit. Use the toothpick test to make sure the cookie bars have finished baking.
After these easy Cake Mix Cookie Bars come out of the oven, allow them to cool for a few minutes. Then serve them warm with a cold glass of milk.
If there are any leftover bars after your family attacks the pan, you can cover them with plastic wrap or store them in an airtight container and enjoy over the next day or two – if they last that long!
This simple dessert idea is perfect for:
- holiday gatherings
- birthday celebrations
- a bake sale
- cookie exchanges – At the bottom of this post, you can access the full printable recipe to print and share with your friends! I’m guessing they might just want to add this idea to their recipe box.
This is also a fantastic recipe if you’re looking for a delicious treat to deliver to a family who is welcoming a new baby home!
Love delivering food gifts to the people in your life? Here’s another easy recipe your friends and family will love! This Pancake Coffee Cake is super versatile – It’s the perfect quick dessert, but can also be a fantastic breakfast option.
Have you ever tried these Yellow Cake Mix Cookie Bars? For years, our family has loved a similar recipe made with red velvet boxed cake mix.
Cake Mix Cookie Bars with a Twist
Want to try this easy dessert recipe, but interested in giving it a little twist?
- Try white chocolate chips instead of regular milk chocolate chips. Peanut butter chips or butterscotch chips might even be a fun option. I think next time we’ll try the peanut butter chips!
- Only have a smaller baking dish on hand? No worries! This mixture poured into a smaller square pan will simply give you thicker Cake Mix Bars. Sounds good to me! One time, we made these in an 8″ x 8″ square baking pan, and truthfully, we weren’t at all disappointed. ha!
- Want to spice things up a bit? Serve these Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.
More Easy Desserts:
- Frozen Nutella Graham Cracker Sandwiches
- Summer Strawberry Dessert
- World’s Easiest Blueberry Cobbler
- World’s Easiest Banana Pudding Recipe
- Chocolate Dipped Potato Chips
Cake Mix Cookie Bars
- 1 Oven
- 1 Box Yellow Cake Mix
- 1/2 Cup Softened Butter
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Bag Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together ingredients.
- Evenly spread mixture into greased pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes.